The 10 best sources of iron for vegans!
Iron is one of the most important trace elements and plays an important role in the metabolism and our performance. If you integrate a colorful mix of the following iron sources into your diet, you will ensure optimal iron supply! This is about 15 milligrams a day for women and 10 milligrams for men!
- Wheat bran (16 mg / 100 g)
- Soybeans (15.7 mg / 100g)
- Pumpkin seeds (about 12 mg / 100 g)
- Sesame seeds (10 mg / 100 g)
- Pine nuts (about 9 mg / 100 g)
- Legumes (about 8 mg / 100 g)
- Linseed (about 8 mg / 100 g)
- Quinoa (about 8 mg / 100 g)
- Amaranth (7.6 mg / 100 g)
- Millet (7mg / 100g)
- Pistachios (about 7 mg / 100 g)
- Sunflower seeds (6 mg / 100 g)
Well, now it’s even 12 🙂
The most ferrous meat product is duck liver with about 30 milligrams of iron per 100 grams. Other liver varieties already have significantly less iron content. Apart from offal, the iron levels of various meats are often below 3 milligrams per 100 grams.
What is to be considered?
With herbal iron sources, it is always advisable to take them together with vitamin C – for example, just drink a sip of orange juice to support your body in the best possible way! In addition, coffee, black tea and white flour products can adversely affect iron absorption. It therefore also helps to stop or reduce the consumption of these products! If you want to know more about iron deficiency and the associated prejudices, our article offers detailed information!