Stinging nettles are great in green wild herb smoothies, as a tea and of course boiled and mashed as stinging nettle spinach. Especially in the spring, when the plants sprout fresh, but also over the summer into the fall, can be prepared from the upper leaves, a delicious vegetables. The collection of shoots is a tedious affair, but the good food always pays!
Nettle and spinach
ingredients for 4 persons
- about 500g fresh nettle drives, washed
- 1 onion, finely diced
- ½ glass of vegetable stock
- Salt pepper
- some oil
- Optional: 2 tablespoons of vegan cream or sour cream
- In a large pot, sauté the onion in the oil, deglaze with the stock and add the stinging nettles. Simmer with the lid closed for about 10 minutes and stir more often until all the leaves have collapsed.
- Season and finely puree with the hand blender. Refine with cream as desired. Serve with fried potatoes, the classic fried egg can be replaced with tofu.